Who We Are.
RARA is a synthesis of chef Aimee Hunter and artist Rachel Barrett. As a culinary duo we create unique food events as mediums for communal experiences, celebratory gatherings and to foster new ideas. Combining our collective passions and educations, our work is inspired by local markets, quality whole organic foods and nutrition.
RARA aims to enhance the natural state of foods and stay in rhythm with the seasons. Each dish is crafted with simple elegance and traditional and contemporary techniques, letting each ingredient exhibit its particular charm and flavor. We highlight plants over animals and take a stem-to-stalk apporach in our cooking, as part of our commitment to elminiating waste from our process.
The culinary phrase Mise en place translates from French to mean Everything in its place. We believe this sentiment extends beyond the kitchen into the entire food system, hard work and clean energy - one turnip at a time.
Gluten Free + Refined Sugar Free
- Lemon, ginger, honey, cinnamon, turmeric tonic
- Smoothies - blends of seasonal fruits, veggies, superfoods
- Cashew-Milk Shake w/ dates, cinnamon, ginger
- Granola - oats, nuts, seeds, dried fruit w milk (cow/coconut) yogurt (cow/coconut)
- Loaf Breads - roasted banana / butternut squash walnut / buckwheat blueberry
- Frittata w wild mushroom, caramelized onion, parsley
- Kale salad w persimmons, avo, apple cider vinaigrette
- Shredded carrot + cabbage w golden raisin, mint, chive, tarragon, pumpkin seed
- Black rice w radish, cucumber, cilantro, lemon ginger dressing, soft egg
Wraps, Bowls, Plates
- Seasonal Nori Wraps + Summer Brown rice paper Rolls
- Quinoa Bowl w/ adzuki beans, roasted kale + carrots, seaweed, tahini
- Chickpea Pancake w/ hummus, labneh, salsa
- Skillet Roast Chicken w termeric, cumin, coriander, fennel
- Cauliflower Couscous w pine nut, currant, parsley
- Sauteed Rainbow Chard w miso-tahini
- Shiitake Bacon
- Raw Chocolate Mousse
- Coconut-cardomom Rice Pudding
- Cakes - chocolate w cacao frosting / pumpkin spice w/ sourcream maple / red velvet w whipped cream
Our limited edition, bi-annual food zine! Each issue is filled with 10 nouishing and mainly plant-based recipes, fun colorful photographs, cooking tips and nutritional information, interviews, a recurring culinary comic strip illustrated by NY Times best selling graphic novelist Leah Hayes, a music pairing menu and humorous food horoscopes written by artist Alaina Stamatis! All the content is enhanced by minimal bvy sophisticated graphic design from Might/Could! ORDER our second issue Grateful Fed - Winter 2015 now for only $10! BUY ISSUES 1 + 2 together for just $15!
PLAY WITH YOUR FOOD aims to make a healthy lifestyle accessible through easy to digest educational information and simple to create but flavorful and colorful dishes. Recipes are sequenced from am to pm, beginning with a Good Morning, Tonic and commencing with a Midnight Snack Chocolate Bar. We open with a guide to dietary terms and feature interviews with Captain Blankenship and artist Banana Grafiti. GRATEFUL FED focuses on sustainability and food justice. We feature an interview with the farmers and food advocates behind Good Food For Hudson; talk with Rachna Govani the CEO and co-founder of start-up The Foodstand; and profile environmental organization Parley for the Oceans. In addition to culinary tips and a nutritionali guide to eating through and after the holiday season, we share a vegan No Egg Nog, a magical Celeriac + Apple Soup with beet tie dye, and a Pumpkin Spice Cake.
Upcoming Event: Dirt Cleanse / POSTPONED - New date TBA
Curated Dining Experiences
From our signature series of multi-sensory Supper Clubs, to cocktail parties and private feasts, our goal is to do more than simply feed our guests, we strive to intrigue, entertain and bring people together through food. We collaborate with brands and individuals to conceptualize and craft menus with dynamic and delicious dishes that support the theme and aesthetic of the event, from small scale to large, formal to informal, special occasion to holiday or gathering of friends. We always work with local farmers and purveyors, for the high quality of their ingredients and to support the local economy.